Skip to main content

Fire kills at least 20 people at an Illegal refinery In Bayelsa




Fire kills at least 20 people at an Illegal refinery In Bayelsa
At least 20 people have reportedly died at an illegal refinery camp at Kolo Creek in the Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State and many others were said to have suffered varying degrees of injury during the inferno.

The Joint Task Force, Operation Delta Safe, and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, security outfits directly in charge of checking illegal bunkering, pipeline vandalism and illegal refineries, were said to have had knowledge of the camp but allegedly failed to halt its operation.

According to reports, tragedy struck in the camp near the creeks of Ebelebiri and Otuogwe when it exploded on December 5, 2017 and went up in flames. Community sources claimed that an attempt by a woman in the camp to cook noodles, using a stove, sparked the fire that caused the havoc.

An eyewitness described it as tragic, unspeakable and avoidable.  “When we got there, I almost vomited. I saw charred remains of people. They were burnt beyond recognition. In some cases, you could only see heads and feet of victims. Despite the burnt bodies, we still met people illegally cooking crude oil there. We thought that security agencies, especially the military, would have taken over the place, but we didn’t meet any security operatives. We only met people who were still refining illegally bunkered crude oil. It was that bad and terrible.”  

It was gathered that the camp, allegedly owned by a powerful cartel, had been in operation for a long time. Investigation, however, revealed that the state police command had earlier appealed to security agencies in charge of oil theft, especially the NSCDC and the JTF, to clamp down on the site and arrest the operators.  A police source told newsmen that the Commissioner of Police uncovered the existence of the camp through intelligence gathering and warned of dire consequences.

The source said the commissioner had, in September, allegedly dispatched a letter to security commanders in charge of oil theft, appealing to them to treat the matter with urgency.  He quoted some parts of the letter as saying, “Information gathered revealed that the presence of ongoing illegal refining of petroleum products such as kerosene, diesel at Ebelebiri and Otuogwe, two communities in the Ogbia LGA of Bayelsa State, under the Kolo jurisdiction.  “The activities of these criminals constitute economic sabotage to the nation as well as endangering lives and properties as explosion on this pipeline may lead to disaster”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emzor reacts to closure of production site by NAFDAC

Emzor Pharmaceutical Nigeria Limited has reacted to the closure of its production site by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC. According to the pharmaceutical company, NAFDAC has only temporarily sealed one of Emzor’s production sites, the liquid line. The rest of Emzor is still operating as normal. In a statement released today by the Emzor, it said NAFDAC sealed its production site 5 days after carrying out an inspection on the site. Emzor said NAFDAC raised no issues at the time of the inspection, only for them to return later to close the site without explanation. Emzor Nigerian, however, said it will continue to make good quality affordable medicines for the Nigerian public and their products are still available to buy. The statement reads: NAFDAC have only temporarily sealed one of Emzor’s production sites, the liquid line. The rest of Emzor is still operating as normal. On Wednesday the 2nd of May NAFDA...

Court orders PDP to pay N180 million to a lawyer for successfully handling their cases

Today, Justice Jude Okeke of the FCT High Court, Maitama ordered the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to pay N180 million to Samuel Okutepa being his professional fee. Okeke who delivered judgment in a suit filed by Okutepa against the PDP, said Okutepa deserved to be paid the money for handling the cases for the party.  “The defendant is directed to pay the claimant N180 million being the earned professional fee for defending and prosecuting their cases listed out in the applicant’s statements of claims.’’ The court also ordered PDP to pay N50,000 to Mr Okutepa, a senior advocate of Nigeria, for successfully handling the cases. The judge held that it was not right for the PDP not to pay for the work they knew was well handled by the plaintiff. He said that the defendant claimed that they did not give him job to do, as no legal agreement was signed by the parties. The judge said that in the records before the court, the applicant wa...

Check out this before and after photo of Instagram celebrity, Roman Goddess

This is before and after photo of Instagram sensation, Roman Goddess . See full photo below...

''Shutting down 3 pharmaceutical companies will affect our economy and render thousands jobless'' - Concerned Nigerians group

Read the press statement by Concerned Nigerians below... The Shutdown of three major Pharmaceutical Companies, Emzor, Bioraj and Peace Standard Pharmaceuticals by National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control over Codein production is another testament that the current administration is clueless and wants more Nigerians out of Job. This hasty decision of shutting down all Production lines of these Pharmaceuticals over alleged production of Codein syrup is one done in bad faith. We are concerned about thousands of Jobs and revenue that will be lost as a result of this ill-conceived decision to shutdown the three largest pharmaceutical companies in the Country. You would recall that the National Bureau of Statistics had in its report stated that the number of Nigerians that became unemployed rose under  the current administration from 8,036million in 2015 Fourth quarter to 15.998 million in third quarter of 2017. It will be c...