Skip to main content

"For years, he was my monster - Actress Salma Hayek details her ordeal in the hands of by Harvey Weinstein




Mexican-born actress Salma Hayek has joined the growing number of a-listers that have accused Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein of sexual harassment.
"For years, he was my monster," the Mexican-born star wrote in an essay published in The New York Times, detailing the torturous production of the 2002 movie "Frida" that eventually earned Hayek an Oscar nomination for best actress.
The critically acclaimed biopic about the life of Mexican painter Frida Kahlo - eventually won two Oscars and grossed more than $56 million at the box office.
After reaching a deal for Weinstein to pay for the rights to the movie that would eventually catapult her to household fame, the now 51-year-old actress and producer said it became "my turn to say no."
"No to opening the door to him at all hours of the night, hotel after hotel, location after location. No to me taking a shower with him. No to letting him watch me take a shower. No to letting him give me a massage. No to letting a naked friend of his give me a massage. No to letting him give me oral sex. No to my getting naked with another woman."
She recounts how he subjected her to escalating rage and once threatened to kill her. Hayek said the sexual harassment stopped once filming began "but the rage escalated."
Weinstein berated her performance, criticised her for a role that showed no sex appeal and agreed to let her finish only if she agreed to do a sex scene with another woman, and demanded "full-frontal nudity," she said.
When it came to shooting the scene, Hayek said she suffered a nervous breakdown and had to take a tranquilizer. When the movie was finished, Weinstein allegedly said it was not good enough for theatrical release and threatened to send it straight to video.
More than 100 women have publicly accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct ranging from harassment to rape since exposes published in the Times and The New Yorker in early October.
The scandal has ended his career, upended his company and ended his marriage. He denied Hayek's sexual abuse charges through a spokesperson.
"All of the sexual allegations as portrayed by Salma are not accurate and others who witnessed the events have a different account of what transpired," the spokesperson said.
And "by Mr Weinstein’s own admission, his boorish behavior following a screening of 'Frida' was prompted by his disappointment in the cut of the movie - and a reason he took a firm hand in the final edit, alongside the very skilled director Julie Taymor," the spokesperson added.
Read her full story below:
HARVEY WEINSTEIN WAS a passionate cinephile, a risk taker, a patron of talent in film, a loving father and a monster.
For years, he was my monster.
This fall, I was approached by reporters, through different sources, including my dear friend Ashley Judd, to speak about an episode in my life that, although painful, I thought I had made peace with.
I had brainwashed myself into thinking that it was over and that I had survived; I hid from the responsibility to speak out with the excuse that enough people were already involved in shining a light on my monster. I didn’t consider my voice important, nor did I think it would make a difference.
In reality, I was trying to save myself the challenge of explaining several things to my loved ones: Why, when I had casually mentioned that I had been bullied like many others by Harvey, I had excluded a couple of details. And why, for so many years, we have been cordial to a man who hurt me so deeply. I had been proud of my capacity for forgiveness, but the mere fact that I was ashamed to describe the details of what I had forgiven made me wonder if that chapter of my life had really been resolved.
When so many women came forward to describe what Harvey had done to them, I had to confront my cowardice and humbly accept that my story, as important as it was to me, was nothing but a drop in an ocean of sorrow and confusion. I felt that by now nobody would care about my pain — maybe this was an effect of the many times I was told, especially by Harvey, that I was nobody.
We are finally becoming conscious of a vice that has been socially accepted and has insulted and humiliated millions of girls like me, for in every woman there is a girl. I am inspired by those who had the courage to speak out, especially in a society that elected a president who has been accused of sexual harassment and assault by more than a dozen women and whom we have all heard make a statement about how a man in power can do anything he wants to women.
Well, not anymore.
In the 14 years that I stumbled from schoolgirl to Mexican soap star to an extra in a few American films to catching a couple of lucky breaks in “Desperado” and “Fools Rush In,” Harvey Weinstein had become the wizard of a new wave of cinema that took original content into the mainstream. At the same time, it was unimaginable for a Mexican actress to aspire to a place in Hollywood. And even though I had proven them wrong, I was still a nobody.
One of the forces that gave me the determination to pursue my career was the story of Frida Kahlo, who in the golden age of the Mexican muralists would do small intimate paintings that everybody looked down on. She had the courage to express herself while disregarding skepticism. My greatest ambition was to tell her story. It became my mission to portray the life of this extraordinary artist and to show my native Mexico in a way that combated stereotypes.
The Weinstein empire, which was then Miramax, had become synonymous with quality, sophistication and risk taking — a haven for artists who were complex and defiant. It was everything that Frida was to me and everything I aspired to be.
I had started a journey to produce the film with a different company, but I fought to get it back to take it to Harvey.
I knew him a little bit through my relationship with the director Robert Rodriguez and the producer Elizabeth Avellan, who was then his wife, with whom I had done several films and who had taken me under their wing. All I knew of Harvey at the time was that he had a remarkable intellect, he was a loyal friend and a family man.
Knowing what I know now, I wonder if it wasn’t my friendship with them — and Quentin Tarantino and George Clooney — that saved me from being raped.
The deal we made initially was that Harvey would pay for the rights of work I had already developed. As an actress, I would be paid the minimum Screen Actors Guild scale plus 10 percent. As a producer, I would receive a credit that would not yet be defined, but no payment, which was not that rare for a female producer in the ’90s. He also demanded a signed deal for me to do several other films with Miramax, which I thought would cement my status as a leading lady.
I did not care about the money; I was so excited to work with him and that company. In my naïveté, I thought my dream had come true. He had validated the last 14 years of my life. He had taken a chance on me — a nobody. He had said yes.
Little did I know it would become my turn to say no.
No to opening the door to him at all hours of the night, hotel after hotel, location after location, where he would show up unexpectedly, including one location where I was doing a movie he wasn’t even involved with.
No to me taking a shower with him.
No to letting him watch me take a shower.
No to letting him give me a massage.
No to letting a naked friend of his give me a massage.
No to letting him give me oral sex.
No to my getting naked with another woman.
No, no, no, no, no …
And with every refusal came Harvey’s Machiavellian rage.
I don’t think he hated anything more than the word “no.” The absurdity of his demands went from getting a furious call in the middle of the night asking me to fire my agent for a fight he was having with him about a different movie with a different client to physically dragging me out of the opening gala of the Venice Film Festival, which was in honor of “Frida,” so I could hang out at his private party with him and some women I thought were models but I was told later were high-priced prostitutes.
The range of his persuasion tactics went from sweet-talking me to that one time when, in an attack of fury, he said the terrifying words, “I will kill you, don’t think I can’t.”
When he was finally convinced that I was not going to earn the movie the way he had expected, he told me he had offered my role and my script with my years of research to another actress.
In his eyes, I was not an artist. I wasn’t even a person. I was a thing: not a nobody, but a body.
At that point, I had to resort to using lawyers, not by pursuing a sexual harassment case, but by claiming “bad faith,” as I had worked so hard on a movie that he was not intending to make or sell back to me. I tried to get it out of his company.
He claimed that my name as an actress was not big enough and that I was incompetent as a producer, but to clear himself legally, as I understood it, he gave me a list of impossible tasks with a tight deadline:
1. Get a rewrite of the script, with no additional payment.
2. Raise $10 million to finance the film.
3. Attach an A-list director.
4. Cast four of the smaller roles with prominent actors.
Much to everyone’s amazement, not least my own, I delivered, thanks to a phalanx of angels who came to my rescue, including Edward Norton, who beautifully rewrote the script several times and appallingly never got credit, and my friend Margaret Perenchio, a first-time producer, who put up the money. The brilliant Julie Taymor agreed to direct, and from then on she became my rock. For the other roles, I recruited my friends Antonio Banderas, Edward Norton and my dear Ashley Judd. To this day, I don’t know how I convinced Geoffrey Rush, whom I barely knew at the time.
Now Harvey Weinstein was not only rejected but also about to do a movie he did not want to do.
Ironically, once we started filming, the sexual harassment stopped but the rage escalated. We paid the price for standing up to him nearly every day of shooting. Once, in an interview he said Julie and I were the biggest ball busters he had ever encountered, which we took as a compliment.
Halfway through shooting, Harvey turned up on set and complained about Frida’s “unibrow.” He insisted that I eliminate the limp and berated my performance. Then he asked everyone in the room to step out except for me. He told me that the only thing I had going for me was my sex appeal and that there was none of that in this movie. So he told me he was going to shut down the film because no one would want to see me in that role.
It was soul crushing because, I confess, lost in the fog of a sort of Stockholm syndrome, I wanted him to see me as an artist: not only as a capable actress but also as somebody who could identify a compelling story and had the vision to tell it in an original way.
I was hoping he would acknowledge me as a producer, who on top of delivering his list of demands shepherded the script and obtained the permits to use the paintings. I had negotiated with the Mexican government, and with whomever I had to, to get locations that had never been given to anyone in the past — including Frida Kahlo’s houses and the murals of Kahlo’s husband, Diego Rivera, among others.
But all of this seemed to have no value. The only thing he noticed was that I was not sexy in the movie. He made me doubt if I was any good as an actress, but he never succeeded in making me think that the film was not worth making.
He offered me one option to continue. He would let me finish the film if I agreed to do a sex scene with another woman. And he demanded full-frontal nudity.
He had been constantly asking for more skin, for more sex. Once before, Julie Taymor got him to settle for a tango ending in a kiss instead of the lovemaking scene he wanted us to shoot between the character Tina Modotti, played by Ashley Judd, and Frida.
But this time, it was clear to me he would never let me finish this movie without him having his fantasy one way or another. There was no room for negotiation.
I had to say yes. By now so many years of my life had gone into this film. We were about five weeks into shooting, and I had convinced so many talented people to participate. How could I let their magnificent work go to waste?
I had asked for so many favors, I felt an immense pressure to deliver and a deep sense of gratitude for all those who did believe in me and followed me into this madness. So I agreed to do the senseless scene.
I arrived on the set the day we were to shoot the scene that I believed would save the movie. And for the first and last time in my career, I had a nervous breakdown: My body began to shake uncontrollably, my breath was short and I began to cry and cry, unable to stop, as if I were throwing up tears.
Since those around me had no knowledge of my history of Harvey, they were very surprised by my struggle that morning. It was not because I would be naked with another woman. It was because I would be naked with her for Harvey Weinstein. But I could not tell them then.
My mind understood that I had to do it, but my body wouldn’t stop crying and convulsing. At that point, I started throwing up while a set frozen still waited to shoot. I had to take a tranquilizer, which eventually stopped the crying but made the vomiting worse. As you can imagine, this was not sexy, but it was the only way I could get through the scene.
By the time the filming of the movie was over, I was so emotionally distraught that I had to distance myself during the postproduction.
When Harvey saw the cut film, he said it was not good enough for a theatrical release and that he would send it straight to video.
This time Julie had to fight him without me and got him to agree to release the film in one movie theater in New York if we tested it to an audience and we scored at least an 80.
Less than 10 percent of films achieve that score on a first screening.
I didn’t go to the test. I anxiously awaited to receive the news. The film scored 85.
And again, I heard Harvey raged. In the lobby of a theater after the screening, he screamed at Julie. He balled up one of the scorecards and threw it at her. It bounced off her nose. Her partner, the film’s composer Elliot Goldenthal, stepped in, and Harvey physically threatened him.
Once he calmed down, I found the strength to call Harvey to ask him also to open the movie in a theater in Los Angeles, which made a total of two theaters. And without much ado, he gave me that. I have to say sometimes he was kind, fun and witty — and that was part of the problem: You just never knew which Harvey you were going to get.
Months later, in October 2002, this film, about my hero and inspiration — this Mexican artist who never truly got acknowledged in her time with her limp and her unibrow, this film that Harvey never wanted to do, gave him a box office success that no one could have predicted, and despite his lack of support, added six Academy Award nominations to his collection, including best actress.
Even though “Frida” eventually won him two Oscars, I still didn’t see any joy. He never offered me a starring role in a movie again. The films that I was obliged to do under my original deal with Miramax were all minor supporting roles.
Years later, when I ran into him at an event, he pulled me aside and told me he had stopped smoking and he had had a heart attack. He said he’d fallen in love and married Georgina Chapman, and that he was a changed man. Finally, he said to me: “You did well with ‘Frida’; we did a beautiful movie.”
I believed him. Harvey would never know how much those words meant to me. He also would never know how much he hurt me. I never showed Harvey how terrified I was of him. When I saw him socially, I’d smile and try to remember the good things about him, telling myself that I went to war and I won.
But why do so many of us, as female artists, have to go to war to tell our stories when we have so much to offer? Why do we have to fight tooth and nail to maintain our dignity?
I think it is because we, as women, have been devalued artistically to an indecent state, to the point where the film industry stopped making an effort to find out what female audiences wanted to see and what stories we wanted to tell.
According to a recent study , between 2007 and 2016, only 4 percent of directors were female and 80 percent of those got the chance to make only one film. In 2016, another study found, only 27 percent of words spoken in the biggest movies were spoken by women. And people wonder why you didn’t hear our voices sooner. I think the statistics are self-explanatory — our voices are not welcome.
Until there is equality in our industry, with men and women having the same value in every aspect of it, our community will continue to be a fertile ground for predators.
I am grateful for everyone who is listening to our experiences. I hope that adding my voice to the chorus of those who are finally speaking out will shed light on why it is so difficult, and why so many of us have waited so long. Men sexually harassed because they could. Women are talking today because, in this new era, we finally can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Court declines Olisa Metuh's request to travel to the United Kingdom for his daughter's graduation

Olisa Metuh, a former spokesperson of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, took to the dock on July 6, 2018 as he continued with his defence in the ongoing N400 million fraud trial before Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Abuja. At the proceeding, Metuh attempted to enter the dock in preparation to being led in evidence by his counsel, Onyeachi Ikpeazu, SAN,  but was stopped by the judge, who ordered him to testify from where he was seated in the courtroom. Under examination, Metuh briefly told the court about himself saying "my name is Olisa Metuh. I live in Prince and Princess Estate. I am a legal practioner, a business executive, politician and real estate develop er". The matter was thereafter adjourned to October 22, 2018. . After the matter was adjourned, Ikpeazu made an oral application to the court, seeking the leave of the court to allow Metuh travel to the United Kingdom for his daughter's graduation, but Justice A...

Girl reveals how she had affairs with her pastor and his son

An unidentified young lady has revealed how she carried on secret romantic relationships with both her pastor and his son. Even though the act of prostitution has been around for centuries, it is still frowned upon by the society who still sees it as a sin and not worthy of emulation. The worst part might just be a situation where it involves someone who is supposed to be a 'man of God', who is supposed to be the leader of his flock who should be able to use him as a worthy example. An unashamed young lady (runs girl) shared a post revealing how she was romantically involved with her married pastor and his son. According to her, even though the pastor later found out she was involved with his son, the son never got to know.                                                           See screenshot below:         ...

Bow Wow posts suicidal messages again, says "I truly don't want to be here no more"

Bow Wow has been known to post suicidal messages in the past and he's just done it again. The rapper went on Twitter to post a couple of worrying messages about taking his life. He tweeted; "Feel like jumping off this balcony." When a follower tried to talk him out of it, he replied: "Im sorry but i truly dont want to be here no more!" He later tweeted that he wasn't going ahead with it. He wrote: "No im not gone do nothing. It was just a figure of speech. I woke up to bad news."

Emefiele Optimistic About Rate Convergence as S&P Affirms Nigeria’s Ratings with Stable Outlook

CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele • MPC retains key policy rates, naira posts largest daily gain Ndubuisi Francis in Abuja and Obinna Chima in Lagos The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele, is upbeat about the convergence of the foreign exchange (FX) rates on the official and parallel markets, stating that the gains made by the naira against the greenback in the last five weeks were not a fluke. Emefiele’s statement came just as global ratings agency, Standard & Poor’s (S&P), affirmed its ‘B/B’ long- and short-term sovereign credit ratings on Nigeria. S&P also stated that the country’s outlook remained stable. Briefing journalists at the end of the two-day Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting of the CBN, where the key policy rates were retained, Emefiele said he was happy that the central bank’s intervention was yielding positive results. “I am happy, indeed very gratified, that the interventions have been positive, we have seen t...

JAMB made N8.5billion revenue came from payments made by 1.6million candidates who registered for the exam this year

An exclusive report by Premium Times says that the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board generated N8.453billion from the sales of forms to applicants seeking admission into tertiary institutions in Nigeria in 2018. According to the report, the revenue came from payments made by 1,602,762 candidates who registered for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) held across the country in March. Part of the revenue also came from registration fees paid by 135, 670.00 Direct Entry (DE) candidates, our source said. The official asked not to be named because he did not obtain official permission to divulge the details to journalists. Each of the total 1,798,438 UTME and direct entry candidates paid N5,500 for the forms out of which N4,700 goes to JAMB’s coffers while N800 is remitted to banks and suppliers of reading texts to applicants, the official further explained. The number of applicants was lower this year following reforms in the ...

Jay-Z and Beyonce go sightseeing in Milan (Photos)

Power couple, Jay-Z and Beyonce who are currently in Italy went on sightseeing in Milan. Here are photos of them visiting a stadium.

Would Nigeria have been a better country if the British colonists remained?

Looks like most Nigerians think the country would have fared better with the presence of the colonial masters.

Richest Musicians in Nigeria 2017, Top 10 {Latest Ranking}

Top 10 Richest Musicians in Nigeria 2017 { Updated } The rating of the richest Nigerian Musicians is mostly based on media reports. However, some other yardsticks are used, these include- the artist having his / her own label or signed to a label, duration of the artist in the music industry, number of hit songs released by the artistes and how much sales he/she make on iTunes. For African artist ranking go here How often he/she goes to shows and the charge per show the artist’s number of tours, Below is the list in descending order with their real name: 10. Olamide – Olamide Adedeji 9. Tiwa Savage – Tiwatope Savage Balogun 8. Iyanya – Iyanya Onoyom Mbuk 7. Davido – David Adedeji Adeleke 6. Wizkid – Ayodeji Ibrahim Balogun 5. Banky – Olubankole Wellington 4. Tuface Idibia – Innocent Ujah Idibia 3. Donjazzy – Micheal Collins Ajereh 2. D-banj – Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo 1. P-Square – Paul Okoye and Peter Okoye Don’t tell me you don’t want to know their date of birth and s...

Kano PDP, APC clash: 2 killed, 20 vehicles burnt

Kano – The Kano State Police Command has confirmed the death of two persons during Thursday’s clash between supporters of People’s Democratic Party (PDP) and the All Progressives Congress (APC) at Kofa in Bebeji Local Government Area of Kano State. Clash The command’s Public Relations Officer, DSP Abdullahi Haruna, confirmed the number of deaths in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Kano and also said that many people sustained various degrees of injuries during the fracas. He said no fewer than 20 vehicles were burnt while 18 others were also vandalised during the incident which occurred around 2:00 p:m on Thursday. According to him, a medical clinic was also burnt in the village as a result of the clash. The police spokesman said the command had also arrested 20 people in connection with the incident and warned people of the state to desist from acts capable of causing disaffection among residents. Reports say supporters of the two political parties cla...

BBNaija: CeeC hurls insults at Tobi, calls him dustbin, useless motherf*cker, dirt, f*ck boy and much more (video)

BBNaija housemates, Ceec and Tobi had an altercation and Ceec hurled insults at him. She called him names including, dustbin, motherf*cker, dirt, f*ck boy, idiot, oloshi and a whole lot more. Tobi however stayed calm through out. Watch the videos below  CeeC hurls insults at Tobi. . . Day 80 . . . #doublewahala #bbnaija3 #bbnaija2018 #bbnaijaupdates #bbnaijafanpage #bbnaijadoublewahala #bigbrothernaija2018 #bigbrothernaijadoublewahala #bigbrothernigeria #thatgidigirl #ricoswavey #ceec #tobi #lolu #miracle #anto #alex #nina #khloe A post shared by GidiGirl BBNaija 2018 Updates (@thatgidigirl) on Apr 18, 2018 at 3:33am P